Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tour de France Stage Preview - Stage 17, July 22

"You never say "I'm going to fight you, Steve"! You just smile, act casual and then you sucker punch him."  - Steve Zissou, The Life Aquatic.

Apparently Andy Schleck, currently in second place in the Tour, has never seen "The Life Aquatic", because he stated during today's rest day news conference that "I know what I  have to do tomorrow, and I'm ready" I'm pretty sure I'll have a good day tomorrow". No matter, we all know what's is coming and so does Alberto Contador and he better have a good day as well. It should be tense and stressful and then, boom, very very exciting. The final climb of this Tour, the Col du Tourmalet, is a historic climb that first made it's 1st appearance in the 1910 Tour and has visited it's peak 78 times since.

For those that love good drama and great racing, tune in. For those that would rather watch 'winning at all cost', please watch something else.

Addressing "chaingate" Velonews reported further on Andy Schleck's news conference: “Yesterday Alberto spoke with me, and he apologized,” Schleck said. “He said (attacking the race leader during a mechanical problem) was the wrong decision, but it’s hard to make a decision in these moments. I’m not angry anymore. That case is closed for me, and it should be for other people as well. I don’t like it when fans boo at Alberto, and yesterday I told every TV station that I spoke with that to get the message across. He’s a big champion, and for me, the case is closed. End of story.”

Don't forget Denis Menchov, currently lying in 4th. Third place, Olympic Champion - Samuel Sanchez, will blow up tomorrow, losing minutes and his podium place. Mechov however, is the dark horse of this Tour and looks very good. He might be able capitalize on all the watching between the guys in first and second and steal away with the whole thing by the end of Saturday night.


Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment